Monday, 15 February 2010
7Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. 9This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Sonb]" into the world that we might live through him. 10This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice forc]" our sins. 11Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 12No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.
13We know that we live in him and he in us, because he has given us of his Spirit. 14And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent his Son to be the Savior of the world. 15If anyone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God lives in him and he in God. 16And so we know and rely on the love God has for us.
God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him. 17In this way, love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment, because in this world we are like him. 18There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.
19We love because he first loved us. 20If anyone says, "I love God," yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen. 21And he has given us this command: Whoever loves God must also love his brother.
If that is a description of God's demonstration of love, then this is a description of how we should be acting out love, and a very severe warning.
31"When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. 32All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.
34"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'
37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'
40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'
41"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.'
44"They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?'
45"He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'
46"Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."
Thursday, 11 February 2010
I remember having this video years ago. Carter Beaufords freedom in his playing, when in a studio situation and playing in five, shows how naturally he finds it. This is taken off Victor Woutens album Yin and Yang, well worth a listen. I love the last track Resolution.
Tuesday, 2 February 2010
1. Dave Grohl - Nirvana drummer, I learnt every track off the nevermind album with my friends in our school band. Here he is playing with Nirvana
2. Jose Pasillas - Incubus drummer, They are the band I have listened most to in my life and he has a great groove. Here he is playing Wish you were here
3. Mitch Mitchell - Jimi Hendrix Experience, Another favourite of our school band. Purple Haze and Fire were our favourite tracks. He was ahead of his time. Here he is soloing
4. Carter Beauford - Dave Matthews band, Probably my favourite drummer at the present time. Great groove and hi- hat/cymbal work. Here he is playing on his Dvd 'Under the table and drumming'
5. Dave Mattacks - My Parents used to take me to see a folk band called Fairport Convention when I was young. He would play perfectly for the songs. I like this solo, not over complicated but musical
6. Chad Smith - One of my favourite bands growing up, great ghost notes. Drum Clinic performance.
7. Greg Bissonette - I have seen Greg Bissonette at a few drum clinics and have his DVD. I like that his philosophy is to dip into every style. Here he is soloing
8. Gary Chaffee - I'm working through a book by Gary Chaffee called Time functioning patterns. Best practise method book I've seen. Here he is
9. Travis Barker - Nearly forgot about this guy. I like his rudimental style that he makes really funky with Box car Racer. There is by box Car Racer
10. Elvin Jones - Just for a Jazz influence. Elvin Jones withJohn Coltrane