Tuesday 17 March 2009

I was amazed today at what our human memory is capable of. I've been at a celebration of dance in schools today! I wasn't dancing, I was leading a drum group for one of the dances. I was amazed how primary school children were able to remember such a complicated set of movements. Drum rhythms are often repetitious, there can be complicated arrangements, but if you can remember 4 or 5 stages you're fine. The dance routine's seemed to have multiple stages.
As I was waiting around, I also got thinking about performance. As a musician, I'm often on a stage somewhere or other. As a Christian musician, we often talk about not performing but worshipping. I think when we know that we were born to do something that inevitably means performing on a stage, then if you do it with the right attitude and character, then when we get up to do our job that involves a performance, it can be an act of worship to God.